What Screen size is best, 7, 8, 9, or 10 inch?
Small or Large Screen, which works best for you?
Tablet PCs are available with screen sizes from 3.2 inches up to 12 inches. The most common are 6 or 7 inch for eReaders like the Barnes and Noble Tablet, or the Amazon Fire. And among Android tablets, the most common are 7 or 10 inch tablet PCs. Samsung has also added a 7.7 inch, 8.9 inch, and 11.6 inch tablet PCs into the mix; plus ASUS has a dual 10 inch screens for one of their tablets. What Screen size is best, 7, 8, 9, or 10 inch?
Dell was the first to come out with a 5 inch tablet, which most felt like it was too small to be a tablet, and too big to be a phone. Archos also offers tablets as small as 3.2 inches in addition to their 4.3, 4.8, 5, and 7 inch tablets. The Archos low cost tablets, with the smaller screens,
all run older versions of Android and have limited functionality.
With so many screen choices, which is best for you? Here are some considerations to think about.
- The 10 inch tablet….
- is great for the more serious users, or
- for people who will primarily use it for playing games.
- watching movies or videos is much easier to see on the larger tablets, plus the sound can be much better coming from the larger speakers.
- using the back camera for taking pictures or capturing video is nicer on the larger tablet, with the bigger screen it is easier to perform editing functions.
- Surfing the web is by far easier on the larger tablet screen. With the larger images, touching links is easier, images are more clear, and typing URL addresses is easier.
- Men like the 10 inch size since it fits more comfortably in their hands and the larger on-screen keyboard works better for the larger hands and fingers.
- Men also are not concerned so much about size since they generally don’t have a purse they need to fit it in.
- Older people will enjoy the 10 inch tablet so they can increase the default font size to make it easier to read.
- The 7 inch tablet….
- can do anything a 10 inch tablet can do, just with a smaller screen.
- Women find the 7 inch size to be more comfortable and fits in their purse better.
- The 7 inch tablet can fit in the inside pocket of most men’s suit coats so can be very convenient for travelers.
- Although the screen resolution is less on most 7 inch tablets, the smaller screen size will look just as nice with the lower resolution as a 10 inch with a higher resolution since they will be using the same number of pixels per inch on the screen. The new Toshiba 7 inch Thrive has a 1280 x 800 resolution, the same as the larger tablets, which for the smaller screen would be a nice picture.
- if you are primarily using the tablet for reading, or email, calendar, to-do lists, etc. The smaller screen size is nice and easy.
So, there you have it. My choices for screen sizes would be the Barnes and Noble 7 inch Tablet for eReading; the Motorola Xoom 10.1 inch for games, internet, etc.; and the Samsung Series 7 11.6 inch tablet for Windows applications.
© 2014, Tablet PC Devices. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners and are hereby recognized